Bayanihan Online was started in the hopes that we can do our part in helping other Filipinos in need. Volunteering and donating in kind and in cash are concrete ways of providing assistance, but in this day and age we also believe that we can help by doing our part online.
Created during the aftermath of Typhoon Ondoy (Ketsana) last 2009, we aim to collate messages disseminated by fellow Filipinos throughout the internet, in order to help others in need. Currently, our efforts are concentrated towards providing vital information about current disaster situations in the Philippines, and organize a central data hub to increase awareness among volunteers, NGO’s, schools, the general public, and media personnel and government agencies alike.
Because there is a very active flow of information, we need to organize them in order to be able to help effectively. Our primary sources are blogs, Twitter and Facebook accounts and other websites.
We are actively working and coordinating with the following people and groups:
- Ateneo Task Force Ondoy
- Manuel L. Quezon III
- Ondoy Manila
- RockEd Philippines
- Sahana FOSS Disaster Management System
We have been mentioned in the following articles:
- Next time disaster strikes the Philippines, tweet for help by Katie Nguyen | AlertNet (Thomson Reuters) | 8 October 2009
- Blog Action Day: Postmortems by Manuel L. Quezon III | 15 October 2009
- Inside the DSWD warehouse that sparked web firestorm by Sophia Dedace | GMANews.TV | 27 October 2009
- 2009 in review: Philippines survives superstorms by Tonyo Cruz | Asian Correspondent | 30 December 2009
- Finalists: Best Blog – Advocacy | Philippine Blog Awards | 6 December 2010