BEFORE IT HAPPENS
- Be updated. Watch/read the news, listen to the radio, or follow Twitter:
- Call your loved ones. Know where they are. Put them on the speed dial of your phone. Always keep in touch. It is also important that you all agree on a meeting place should you get separated, or have a point person to call to let him/her know that you are safe.
- If there are reports of strong winds, board up your windows or mask them with tape to keep from breaking.
- Check around the house for loose wires.
- Charge phones, emergency lights, and other equipment that can run on batteries.
- Prepare flashlights, first-aid kits and a typhoon survival kit.
- Stock up on food, water and warm clothes.
- Check your gas stoves, refrigerators, computer AVRs, etc.
- If there are reports of heavy rains and the possibility of flood, move important things to a higher area.
- Make sure that your family and pets are well accounted for. Stay together.
WHILE IT IS HAPPENING
- Be calm. Don’t panic.
- Keep abreast for the weather condition.
- If electricity goes out, use emergency lights and flash lights.
- Listen to the radio for news.
- Stay inside.
If you have more suggestions, please leave them in the comments section.
Updated as of 1 October 2009, 3:00 PM.